2. The manufacturing purchasing managers’ index published by China’s National Bureau of Statistics slipped to 51.6 in October, coming in below a median forecast of 52 from economists surveyed by Reuters and closer to the 50-point line delineating expansion from contraction.
6. Everyone has both, but people tend to be most attached to their “best” identity — the one that offers the most social status or privileges. Successful professionals, for example, often define their identities primarily through their careers.
1. Here are the 10 winners of the 2012 Ig Nobel Prizes given to scientists, writers, and peacemakers who make silly but thoughtful contributions to the world, or as the Annals of Improbable Research puts it, "first make people laugh, and then make them think." I can vouch for them making us laugh!
2. I said it last year - and I'll say it again. There is only one activity more thankless than predicting the future - and that is publicly sharing your predictions.
5. 单词designer 联想记忆：
6. Western states dominate the best states for projected job growth. Only two, Florida and Georgia, of the top 10 are located east of the Mississippi River. Rounding out the top five are Colorado (2.6% annual projected growth), North Dakota (2.5%) and Florida (2.5%).
2. The other finalists, each of which will receive 10,000, were: Losing the Signal , by Jacque McNish and Sean Silcoff, who look at how BlackBerry went off course; Digital Gold , Nathaniel Popper’s examination of the rise of bitcoin, the virtual currency; How Music Got Free , Stephen Witt’s history of the way piracy and peer-to-peer sharing have disrupted the recorded music industry; Anne-Marie Slaughter’s new book Unfinished Business , about the challenge of achieving gender balance; and Misbehaving , in which Richard Thaler traces the development of behavioural economics.
2. "Students are not suited for starting businesses on their own," said Zhang, adding that vocational students are more eager to start businesses than university undergraduates.
3. Sandy has caused large-scale damage, with more possibly to come.
4. n. 人口 ，(全体)居民，人数
5. “I don’t think there are any companies that have survived big assaults from two of the biggest beasts in the hedge fund jungle,” says Ms Simpson of Calpers. “He is cool, calm and collected — the corporate exemplar of ‘Keep calm and carry on’.”